A list of essential plugins all new WordPress websites should feature

(Matteo Duò) #1

With so many plugins to choose from and a heterogeneous world made of different businesses, does it makes sense to have a list of essential plugins all new WordPress websites should have installed? At first, it doesn’t.

But if you take a step back and start looking at the wider picture here, one that has to do with 3 aspects all websites should take into great consideration (security, speed and getting users aware your website exists), I think there are some specific plugins that should be bundled with any WordPress installation.

I listed them in what I’ve called: The minimum viable WordPress plugins setup for your new website.

What do you guys think of this:
Does having such type of lists make sense/is useful? Which plugins would you put in this list?

(Miroslav Glavić) #3

I disagree with your post by the way. All sites are different, there is no one list. All these “must have plugins”, top 10 plugins for 2015, and so forth. Are useless.

The only plugin I use out of that list is Yoast SEO, before it was AIOSEO pack. Both are on same level.

(Leland Fiegel) #5

A nice list that covers the main bases of security and speed, but these “must have plugin” articles have been popping up pretty much ever since WordPress added support for plugins, and I don’t think they’ll ever be a definitive list of truly must have plugins for all new sites.

A site can chug along just fine with no plugins whatsoever. Processes above the application layer can be set up to handle the more critical tasks like security, backups, and caching.

I understand this post may be more geared towards beginners, but still, every site has its own unique requirements and may handle them in non-plugin ways.

A perfect example of this is a prior discussion we had on WP Chat: What are the top five plugins you install on every site. While there was some overlap, nobody had the same list of five.

(Ben) #6

I agree with what the others said.

I didn’t read the list though - I had read 3 or 4 paragraphs and then a full screen popup asked me to sign up to a newsletter. I’m afraid I am not going to sign up to something before I’ve even had a chance to read a single page - so I left.

(Mark Senff) #7

To answer your questions specifically though: I think those lists have their place, but it’s really important how it’s named. As long as they’re suggestions, advice, recommendations, etc., it’s all good, but when they’re labeled as “must haves” or essentials, then no.

To focus on your list: the wording (especially “minimum viable”) implies that if you don’t have all those plugins installed, your site is simply not viable. So I agree with statements above. And I also disagree with some of the content – what makes Contact Form 7 absolutely better than other forms plugins? Why is a floating social bar essential? And so on.

And finally, I agree with Ben; as soon as the popup was thrown in my face, I left. See: http://www.senff.com/user-experience/popups-are-making-a-comeback/

(Matteo Duò) #8

About the list
I used “viable” here in a wider approach, suggesting that these plugins should be bundled with a new WordPress website because they help when looking at 3 general yet key aspects (those 3 I listed). These are 9 products I think are great candidates, whether because of their vast adoption, easiness of use, and because they deliver what they promise.

I haven’t written they must be the only ones, or anything convey something like “it’s them or your website won’t work”.

I’d love to have a pro-active conversation, that’s why I asked both at the end of the post and here, what others would install in a new website.

I didn’t know about the previous and similar thread here on WP Chat, that’s why I started a new one.

Abou the popup
I agree it’s annoying and rude to be pixel-slapped. Something isn’t working correctly (the popup should fire at the end of the page, when readers finish to read the post). I’ll share your feedback with my coworkers and will make it better.

(Benjamin Intal) #9

For me the core issue about the disagreements is that the essential plugins differ depending on the purpose of the site.

Perhaps it’s better to do:

• “The minimum viable WordPress plugins setup for your new blogging site”
  • “The minimum viable WordPress plugins setup for your new restaurant review site”
  • “The minimum viable WordPress plugins setup for your new magazine site”
  • “The minimum viable WordPress plugins setup for your new business brochure site”
  • and so on…

I could certainly think of a few plugins that would be essential for those, and each list would be somewhat different.

For example, I would think that a star rating plugin would be a pretty must-have plugin for a restaurant review site. Or a trending posts plugin for a magazine site. And all of them would have Yoast SEO. lol!

Come to think of it, that’s actually not a bad idea for a blog series :slight_smile:

(Matteo Duò) #10

So at least one plugin can be considered an “essential one”, right? LOL :smile:

Those you listed would work nice as blog post ideas. Thanks for your suggestions.

(Igor) #11

It seems to me that for some reason no one else uses plugins on an ongoing basis that help correctly integrate external scripts and not get lost in them. I use my plugin LuckyWP Scripts Control , and the most popular one is its plugin Insert Code in Header and Footer