Any suggestions for forum plugins other than bbPress?

(Nick) #21

Is this still in the works?

Checked the blog but don’t see any updates :slight_smile:

(Yash Chandra) #22

I am getting SSL errors and can’t even load the page. Looks dead to me.

(Leland Fiegel) #23

Same. Bummer. :frowning:

Wonder if @danieliser or @calumallison can provide any additional info about this?

(Michael) #24

@ychan @leland if you have this, as did i, did you have the advanced tab near the back to safety tab? if so, click advanced and there should be an option to ‘‘continue to site’’ or words to that effect. I got to the new forum dev site ok.

(Leland Fiegel) #25

Hey Michael, you’re right. The site is still up but requires a security exception to get around the expired SSL certificate.

I’d still be curious to hear about the status of Jungle Plugins from the founders, because in its current state it does look “dead,” as @ychan put it.

(Michael) #26

What you say there I cannot argue with. Yea looks abit dead. so to speak. which is a shame.
I’m about to start jumping through all the flarum hoops to install that. as it looks fresh, clean, and tidy. Not content with that, but its in its 7th beta stage and so it looks very promising. So I’m taking a gamble but it looks worth it. Ill use bbpress as a possible backup. Maybe even copying some the topics over onto another database for the event ‘‘when’’ flarum breaks on the beta. ill do this daily so that my users will have something to work with when it finally does happen. Nice of the host company to allow me the database to do this mind.

so yea. i look forward to the future with flarum.

(Calum Allison) #27

Hey everyone!

I know I posted about a new forum plugin being released a ridiculously long time ago! Unfortunately never managed to get it released back in 2017 as it had to be put on the back burner as Ultimate Member continued to grow.

However, work started again on the forum plugin a few months ago and I am very happy to say the plugin has now been released this week. It’s called ForumWP. It’s in beta release at the moment but lots of additional features and improvements are on the way.

If you have any questions/feedback/suggestions, would love to hear your thoughts on the plugin.

Cheers!

(Yash Chandra) #28

Thanks calumallison. Better late than never :). I took a quick look. Looks like a good start. Can you clarify on how this is going to be different than bbpress ? I started this thread originally and still interested in learning more about options other than bbpress.

(Calum Allison) #29

In terms of core functionality most forum plugins are similarly structured e.g forums > topics > replies. ForumWP also has this structure but with ForumWP our aim is to offer a modern ui/ux compared to other forum plugins. So clean modern design, no pagination, no page reloads for replies/actions etc.

We’ll also be building all additional functionality in house to avoid the issue that bbPress addons have that are often not supported and are outdated.

Would love to hear what you think is missing from bbPress and other existing solutions that you would love to see in a new forum plugin.

Thanks

(Milica) #30

BuddyPress and WP Symposium are perfect for creating social networks. wpForo is ideal for those looking for a modern solution and DW Question & Answer should be your top pick for a Q&A site. Find out more informations about forum plugins.

(Moeez) #31

bbPress is an excellent forum plugin but it’s not true that there aren’t any alternatives to it. ForumWP is a great WordPress forum plugin that is easy to use. Of course, BuddyPress is one great alternative to bbPress.

I once wrote a piece on forum plugins actually. Feel free to check it out it might help you :slight_smile: