Any Tips on Building a Team?

(Arindo) #1

Hello, everyone.

I developed a few small premium WordPress plugins in the past and they were easily manageable by one single developer (me), which also provided support. For the past year, I’ve been working on a larger plugin for building premium WordPress networks (https://wpultimo.com) and I’m trying to turn it into a business.

Fortunately, the plugin is starting the pick up the pace and sales are growing really fast. I’ve always been the “do-it-all” type of guy and I have huge issues delegating tasks but at the same time I’m starting to realize that I’ll be a bottleneck to the business’ growth if I don’t bring up people to help me with support and development.

Do you guys have any tips on how to recruit people to do support and development? Where did you find your first employee? Any thoughts on how to deal with delegation issues and the urge to micro-manage?

Thanks in advance.
Arindo.

(Leland Fiegel) #2

I’m the exact same way, so unfortunately I have little insight to provide.

The only thing I delegate is design work, because I’m not a designer and know that any designer I hire would be way better than me at design. When it comes to designers, I like to give them as much creative freedom as possible. I avoid nitpicking little things (move this one pixel to the left) and just correct minor issues myself, if necessary.

I’d be curious to hear how others delegate other types of tasks though. Literally everything else besides design (business development, social media, content creation, development, support) I do myself.

From what I hear, developing clear-cut processes that others can review and replicate is the key to a lot of delegated tasks.

(Arindo) #3

Thanks for the reply, @leland.

So that means that every support request and all the development of all the themes of Themetry are handled by you alone? I know that themes tend to be similar on the backend, especially if you use a “framework” to maintain them (which you probably do) but still, it seems like a lot of work.

I’m asking this because the moment I realized that maintaining it could become a problem was the moment I introduced add-ons to the equation. Suddenly, I was managing a handful of products instead of just one, which adds a lot of overhead on the whole process.

(Leland Fiegel) #4

Yes.

It is. I manage it by not pushing out as many new themes as I could, because I understand how maintenance of older themes can pile up. I still only have less than 10 themes total. Quality over quantity. :slight_smile:

For plugins, I’d probably advise an “all-encompassing Pro plugin upsell” model like Advanced Custom Fields does. Might make it easier to maintain than a bunch of individual addons. I know @gelform recently made that transition too.

(Denis B) #5

Unfortunately I’m another “do it all” kinda guy, so @leland & I aren’t much help there. Got a few tips bout your new plugin though.

1. It’s awesome & gets a lot done, the price though, I don’t think you are being fair to yourself, you need to pump those numbers up :grin:
  2. Video tutorials: I tried this with one of my products & it literary killed support for that product (1-2 emails a day)
  3. for such an advanced plugin, being redirected to gumroad to complete purchase is kind of a downer, have you tried EDD?

good luck :slight_smile:

(Arindo) #6

Hey, @denisb. Thanks so much for your reply and tips.

1. Yes. I’m not that good with pricing. I’m considering raising the prices a bit and adding a 3 or 5 sites license option as well.
  2. That’s actually a good idea. Support is taking a huge amount of time right now, time that could be better spent on product development. I have a knowledge base in place but it lacks articles. I’m sure video tutorials would drive the support ticket numbers down.
  3. It took me almost one year to finish the development of WP Ultimo’s first version (I was developing it on the side) so, when I reached something that I considered “releasable”, I just wanted to put it out there and see if there was a market without spending any more time on building infrastructure. I went with Gumroad at that point for that reason, but I’m starting to realize that maybe it is time to make that shift as well.

Thaks again.