Anyone interested on my plugins BETA testing?

(Jeffrey Carandang) #1

Hi Everyone,

I’ve just launched my brand new plugin on BETA testing : . Would love to hear your thoughts :wink: Thanks!

(Peter) #2

Do you like websites with pop-up, modal or sliding things? I see it as a disaster on any website. So please don’t sell this plugin to webmasters of websites I visit :slight_smile:

(Jeffrey Carandang) #3

Thank you very much for your comments :slight_smile: As for my experiences and research this actually depends on the implementation. As long as the user/visitor have control this isn’t bad at all, non-intrusive panels is great for navigation and user engagement :slight_smile: Thanks again!

It is possible that cultural norms have changed without me knowing, but a “beta testing” is normally free of charge, and your “offer” is half off a yearly support license.

Your plugin looks interesting from the features list, dropping widgets into a modal seems very useful (with the same caveat as Peter noted, that it isn’t abused). But your approach to this beta is a huge red flag for me.

If you make any changes to how you are marketing and running beta tests for the plugin, please update here.

(Jeffrey Carandang) #5

Beta Testing is really up to the developers or plugin owners but based on my experiences paid beta testing converts a lot in terms of suggestions and feedback since the customer has more interest than those users who just download the plugin for free and not test it. You can read more here : which has detailed explanation on running beta testing. I hope this helps.

I wasn’t commenting on your practice, I was trying to save the time of those visiting the thread to know the “beta” costs $10. You ought to edit your original post to clarify that. But since you referenced a blog post talking about your position…

The post in question says:

Giving Away the Plugin for Free

This is important: don’t give away your plugin for free, even in the beta phase. You only want people who will pay for value.

You can give them a steep discount, and make it known that’s a huge benefit.

People who pay to test are more likely to give you regular feedback, since they have their money on the line too. If you need further convincing on why you should charge beta testers, read this.

That bit link to another article, which claims:

Why do I charge for beta tests?
Because I’m looking for the type of people who will pay for value — these are the same types of people who will pay for the product when it launches at full price. If I opened it up to anyone for free testing, I’d get 100x the response rate, but the type of tester would be totally different than the real customers. In other words, people who pay are far more likely to actually open, use, and give feedback on a beta test. I have statistics to back this up by unimaginably huge margins, which I’ll share later.

Emphasis mine. That data is not shared.

Please share the data. Without the data, it isn’t science, it is just marketing.

That isn’t a reply, it is a deferral.

I’ve run and participated in beta programs for decades, and I am pointing out that the topic of this thread and your approach is inappropriate. It should say something more along the lines of, “Half-off my new plugin for beta testers”, because in lieu of stricter rules, at the very least this forum should make an efficient use of folks’ time.

That is my feedback to your original post and follow-up. I am not going to reply anymore, because my point is clearly stated.

(Daniel Iser) #7

I’d be happy to test for free, but I think my reputation should cover my $10 (see Popup Maker).

I would obviously have a bias, but if you check my forum records you will find I have answered tickets and defended low reviews of other plugins I would deem competition, so I am fair and honest.

In honestly I wouldn’t use your product, nor try to poach features as we likely already have them on our roadmap anyways (such as breaking from popups into slide ins & hidden widgets etc).

Your call.

(Daniel Iser) #8

Unfortunately statistics show they work, well in fact. So you are wishful thinking at best :wink:

(Peter) #9

Yes, spam emails, phishing and junk on the internet works too.

(Daniel Iser) #10

Umm, not sure where you got those ideas, but I would strongly disagree. 99% of what your talking about ends up in spam folders to never be seen. Can’t argue its effective if its never seen. Unlike popups which definitely get seen.

We can argue about it all day but I can tell you that in 2.5 years my plugin has accumulated over 150k active installs for popups. If they didn’t work, then business & site owners would not opt to use them. Funny enough we get users all the time stating “we hate popups, but we know they work for our business and that means we are going to use them as effectively as possible.” IE the haters still use them because it works too good compared to nothing.

Not arguing, just stating facts, so I won’t reply again as there is no more relevant info to be added.

But you didn’t. We’d all love hard statistics showing the effectiveness of this type of plugin, just like we’d love to see the data behind running a “paid beta”.

When someone says they don’t like popups, that is an opinion. When you say they “work”, you are claiming something, and that needs to be backed up with proof, which is why that burden is on you folks selling the plugins. :slight_smile:

(Peter) #12

OK so you are telling that pop-ups works, I am telling you that not for me. phpbits is telling, that paid beta works, but not for you, you have “reputation” so you wanna test it for free :wink:
Pop-ups and any other crap on the web works without doubt. It works for some users, for some it’s turn off like paid beta or any other nonsense on the web.

Regarding 150k active installs of your plugin, check Hello Dolly there are 1+ million active installs. So people love it, use it, enjoy it, right? :wink: It just works, even better than your pop-up :face_with_head_bandage:

You are probably talented developer, please don’t poison the web, find something else :skull_and_crossbones:

(Jeffrey Carandang) #13

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, we can’t send free licenses as of the moment. We are running paid beta and would be unfair for our existing customers to give someone else free licenses. Thank you very much for your understanding! We’ll definitely keep in touch though when the plugin is ready so that you can make a comparison with your Popup Maker plugin. Thanks again!

(Jeffrey Carandang) #14

Our article is on the way for better explanation of our pop-up features. I’m actually on your side for the intrusive pop-ups that’s why we made this plugin less intrusive and user-directed as possible.

Regarding paid beta, this is something we’ve decided a long time ago with other plugin we’ve launched and gives us better feedback than free beta that’s why we are sticking with this approach. Thank you very much for your understanding.

Let me know if you have any other concerns :slight_smile:

(Daniel Iser) #15

Are you asking for proof that popups are effective marketing medium, or proof that a paid beta is effective. If the latter I wasn’t arguing for that at all. If for popups are you really gonna make me pull up hundreds of blog posts and make you a list. I’m sure if you google any terms along the lines of “pop up marketing statistics”. Per the first result of that search with quoted sources:

Here are the facts:

• Copyblogger found that implementing a pop-up strategy immediately boosted email list opt-ins.
  • Pop-ups generally have decent click through rates - often around 2% - higher than other kinds of ads.
  • Pop-ups helped Entrepreneur.comincrease subscriptions 86% and sales 162%.

Our own users have shown results of increases between 300-700% in subscription rates, though I tend to find that increases that high are attributable to the fact that prior to adding a popup subscription form they had nothing or only minimally visible efforts to get them signed up.

In any case I can find hundreds of studies/reports that will show they are inarguably effective. whether people like them or not is an opinion. Stating their effectiveness is easily fact. Will they work for everyone, no, will they provide the same boost for everyone, obviously not. But in the grand scheme, they are more effective than not, and generally the benefits outweigh the few users that might not come back, at least that is the general attitude.

(Daniel Iser) #16

Yea I doubt anyone would consider Popup Maker vs Hello Dolly (active install counts) a fair comparison. Lets see for one Hello Dolly is installed by default with every fresh install of WP. So what that tells me is that i have 150k+ real sites who went out of their way to install our plugin, where Hello Dolly has been forcefully removed from millions of installs or it would be much higher than the 1 Million it has now.

If anything I say we win clearly as we have a +150k in actual growth, while they have lost millions of installs from bloated unused automatic installs :wink: