Checathlon theme feedback

(Sami Keijonen) #1

Hi all.

I was wondering if someone have time to take a look at my upcoming theme. It’s called Checathlon and it’s now on alpha version.

Here is link to demo site.

It’s a business type of theme and it supports EDD plugin. It’s for people and companies who like to showcase their services, portfolios, testimonials, and team members.

I’m not sure what kind of feedback I’m looking for, pretty much anything :relaxed::

• Are there design issues
  • What kind of features would you like to see in this kind of theme

Setting up a front page is something that I’ve been thinking about a lot. Twenty17 and Core might come up with some kind of standard solution with panels or menus or similar.

At the moment I have pretty traditional structure in the Front Page:

1. Content of that page.
  2. Service and Pricing Widget area for services or pricing via custom widget.
  3. Featured area where you can pull content from the pages, downloads, or portfolios. At the moment Jetpack portfolios and Custom Content Portfolio Plugin are supported.
  4. Testimonials appears automatically if you have them. At the moment from Jetpack testimonials.
  5. Front Page Widget area.
  6. Recent blog post appears automatically if you have them.

Anyways let me know if you have feedback, ideas or suggestions.

(Basilis Kanonidis) #2

Hey,

nice and clead design, I really like it.
Before going forward although with review - will it be a free or a premium plugin?

(Sami Keijonen) #3

First step is trying to get it on WP.com as commercial theme.

will it be a free or a premium plugin

Glad you asked it this way. If I get it on WP.com my plan is to release theme for free in WP.org. But it would be stripped down version and some features would be build in commercial add-on plugin.

(Leland Fiegel) #4

Very nice! A few (very minor) pieces of feedback.

• In the footer credit, the theme name is lowercase.

• More of “demo feedback” rather than theme feedback, but <p class=”job-title”>Creative Director</p> is visible on the Team page.

• On blog posts without featured images, I’m wondering about the placeholder icon. I’m torn because mixed between a bunch of posts with featured images, it keeps things balanced. But if a user never uses featured images, the pencil icon might look repetitive.

• I wish there was a better core way besides widgets to handle things like pricing tables. Not really sure how else to handle on WP.com unless they introduce specific functionality for it. Maybe Customizer? I have a very simple (and not very well known) plugin called Pricing Tables Pro that handles this too.

(Sami Keijonen) #5

Thanks Leland for taking your time and giving feedback!

In the footer credit, the theme name is lowercase.

Nice catch, fixed.

More of “demo feedback” rather than theme feedback, but …

I have plans to build documentation demo which would have these kind of helper text. But I’ll remove them from original demo site. Content sucks in there anyway at the moment :slight_smile:.

But if a user never uses featured images, the pencil icon might look repetitive.

That’s true. But design kind of needs featured image. I don’t think this is huge problem when saying that you should try to pick on image as featured image.

I wish there was a better core way besides widgets to handle things like pricing tables.

I have struggled with this and for WP.com I see this as “best” solution. It gives you unlimited option how many services/pricing you might have. But then again I’m not even sure if it’s allowed or not.

In WP.org version custom widget would be in a add-on plugin.

And thanks for you pricing plugin link, will take a look.

(Leland Fiegel) #6

Oh! I actually didn’t even read the paragraph of content before that. At a glance, it just looked like there was HTML that was mistakenly parsed. I think documentation is fine to keep on a demo site, I just wasn’t reading carefully. :slight_smile: