Dear plugin and theme authors...stop doing the following

(Miroslav Glavić) #1

All those notices on top, I just activated 33 plugins on a site (it got hacked and after cleaning everything and restarting fresh - the owners wanted a fresh start).

Why do you authors put these nags…

NOW THE PLUGINS SHOWN HERE ARE JUST EXAMPLES, OTHER PLUGINS THAT DO THE SAME THING, THESE THINGS APPLY TO YOU.

1 is a screenshot of all the nag screens, rest are individuals
2 is from Wordfence and I am ok with this one. This is the ONLY good nag on here
3 Smush asking me to upgrade to their pro version, didn’t I just install smush? this is like I go propose to my girlfriend on our first date. Let’s get to know each other before I go to the PRO (PAID) version of the plugin. Yes I do pay for plugins, however I like to try it out first to see if it’s worth it. Just like when I buy a car, I try it out first.

I DID A BOOBOO ON #4, TWO NOTICES HERE…
4.1 wptouch, let me try you out first, why would I subscribe to your newsletter without trying your product/service out?
4.2 THEME AUTHORS please put on your descriptions that your theme has “recommended” plugins for your theme to work to it’s full potential. I might already be using a plugin that does the same thing that your recommended plugin.

5 wpsmush, you are so guilty, second nag: why would I subscribe to your newsletter if I just installed your plugin without trying it out. I hate these nags

6 don’t put your News from…xxx on my admin, at least give me an option.

tldr: Theme authors tell me on your theme description about the plugins you will recommend I install, plugin authors: nagging notifications should be considered spam, don’t ask me to follow you on social media, friend you on social media, subscribe to your newsletter, rate you or buy the pro version of your plugin right after I activate your site.

Yes I know you all give up your time for free stuff, I do in fact buy pro version of plugins/themes if the features are good.

If you are not making enough money with your plugin/theme then you are doing something wrong when not converting your free plugin/theme users to PRO users.

I did find an anti-nag plugin however it also blocks the core/theme/plugin update notifications. so boo.

Merry Christmas

(Mahdi Yazdani) #2

Primarily, admin notices are meant for providing crucial information and not as a billboard but giving users the opportunity to dismiss them and make sure that when dismissed, they don’t reappear at least for a while would be enough.