Hello theme authors...one question

(Miroslav Glavić) #1

I have downloaded more themes over the years more times than Donald Trump has said something stupid.

Many times when I download a theme via my site’s admin dashboard…after I activate, I get a notification on top saying that I should download recommended plugins. Yes I know I don’t have to download those recommended plugins.

I am assuming that is to have certain functionality for my theme.

This is not about if certain functions should be in the theme or plugin…

How come when I read the description of the theme, it doesn’t list those recommended plugins? Sometimes I might already have a contact form plugin, I don’t want to have two.

The list of those plugins is not in the description because you don’t want to put it, wordpress.org people say no or another reason?

(Ben) #2

You must have a massive hard disk! :slight_smile:

I only have a single theme in the wordpress.org repository at the moment and I list the plugins the theme supports (it doesn’t require anything - they’re optional), and I don’t have the popup that says you have to install the plugins - so I am probably not the right person to answer.

However - my guess is that they simply haven’t considered adding a note to the readme. The readme is all about selling the theme (something I probably do poorly), and adding comments on what plugins are required doesn’t do that.

As far as I know there’s nothing in the guidelines from wordpress.org that controls what you have in the readme.

(Zackary Allnutt) #3

I recommend contact form 7 in my 2 last themes and my first I had a custom one. But no matter it it’s a recommend or built in contact form, there’s nothing to stop you using your own. The only thing is that the recommended option would be styled to match the theme. Other than that, it’s totally optional what you use.

I agree though it would be better to list the plugins in the description so that you can choose a theme were your choice of contact form would be styled for the theme. Which I do have in my descriptions :slight_smile: