How do you prefer to learn development online? Screencasts or written tutorials?

(Leland Fiegel) #1

If I had to pick one, I would give a slight edge to short, concise screencasts. With audio of the person dictacting what is happening in the video. I think it’s a good way to pick up valuable insights that may not have been presented in more of a “step-by-step” tutorial.

But I think I tend to absorb information better when written, accompanied by relevant screenshots, on an easy-to-read website. Where I can easily copy and paste code and try it out on my own while I’m reading, without having to rewind if I miss something while following along.

For me, it ultimately to do with style. I’m going to have just as short of an attention span on a boring 30-minute long video as I would with a boring tutorial that takes 30 minutes to read.

If the material is concise and well-organized, it doesn’t matter so much to me.

What are your thoughts?

(Scott Wyden Kivowitz) #2

Screencasts all the way. I learn better with visuals, and I love being able to stop and rewind.

(Ben) #3

I don’t listen to podcasts. I occasionally watch screencasts if they are on youtube so that I can watch them at 2x speed.

30 seconds tutorials would be great.

I like written tutorials as I can skim to the bits I am interested in. I don’t have the time or desire to listen to anything long.

(Jeffrey Carandang) #4

+1 for screencast too! But I guess it would be best to to use both. You can create screencast and as per the text content on each tutorial, add the written one. This will be very beneficial on the users and for your site for Search Engine :wink:

(Piet) #5

For me written tutorials.

The written word in general is much easier to go back to and re-read instead of re-watching an entire video or screencast.

Another advantage is that it is searchable content.

(Faruk Erdogan) #6

Absolutely you must use screencast max 2-3 minutes. Maybe you can create video series or playlist on youtube with these short videos but your effort on screencasting can be more helpful than just written one. On the other hand, you should write everything that you speak on these videos because of SEO and people who prefer reading.

Why I say that. People are searching on the internet mostly to solve a short problem. Seeking a quick solution.

I am working on e-learning for many years and I can say that teaching something via the internet is hard. Student and tutor should give a commitment. if you want to teach development, there must be videos, written articles, fill-in-blank activities and some pre-test, post-test features. After that, we can talk about your teaching approach.

Why don’t you share more information about the project? Who is the audience? What do you want to teach exactly?

(Leland Fiegel) #7

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Even though I prefer writing to screencasting, I will likely do both.

I’m talking about Themetry. It will be a WordPress theme development training site.

(Faruk Erdogan) #8

I just signed up there. It is a good idea if it can be a center of WP development.

We follow, good luck.