Hi guys. I’m planning a theme that is mostly presentational and I want to make the whole thing as less plugin dependant as possible. This means no Visual Composer or ACF plugins (or something similar). That’s a result of my preference and my client choice (main reason is that it is desired to work on a vanilla WordPress, for any user)
Anyhow, how would one manage the content for a layout similar to this:
So, basically the requirement would be to manage various sections content in an easy way that also allows reordering, editing and so on.
The best way I could come up with is to make use of hierarchy and templates in pages:
- top level page (parent=0) would act like a container and will have nothing to edit (maybe the title)
- sections will be pages, that are children of the previous top page. You can change the section type by changing template. Basically something similar to this:
I have few big…ish issues here:
- i’ll have quite a lot of template files in the theme directory;
- displaying all section means extra queries to the DB;
- Editing each section would be a bit couterintuitive (because you need to go and edit other page every time);
- probably some issues on Search functionality.
The second idea would be to make a lot of metaboxes that are dynamic enough to be added/removed/sorted/edited in page (basically this means replicating some ACF functionalities).
For some reasons, metaboxes seems a bit hackish for me and i’d like to avoid them if possible (also search is tricky)
Any other ideas?