How to have a system of drag & drop into a WordPress theme?

(Nicolas Lecocq) #1

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I would like to create a theme that I would sell on my website and not on ThemeForest.
I wonder if you know a drag and drop system that I could in my integrated theme to make it very easy to create beautiful pages for my clients.
I used Visual Composer but I’m going to sell the theme on my website, I do not have the right to integrate this plugin.

Thank you a lot :slight_smile:

(Leland Fiegel) #2

Have you considered making a Layers child theme? That way you wouldn’t have to worry about maintaining your own drag and drop functionality, just focusing on the appearance. May not be the direction you want to go in, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

(Nicolas Lecocq) #3

Hello, I would try to create themes without premium plugins, with Layers, these are child themes, and you have to buy more premium extensions can change the colors of a theme, for WooCommerce compatible, etc, so it is not very interesting.
I would like something similar to Visual Composer, but I do not think it is :slight_smile:
In addition, wpbakery have a new policy, we do not have the right to sell our themes with their plugins outside ThemeForest.

(Ben) #4

If you really want this sort of thing then just add support for Visual Composer - and say the theme supports it in the docs - with an affiliate link pointing at the purchase page so people can buy and install it themselves.

Bundling plugins is a nightmare for everyone and not recommended.

(Nicolas Lecocq) #5

It’s not very honest to the customers, if I create beautiful demos and I said, if you want the same demo on your site, you have bought the theme + visual composer.
If I’m a customer, I prefer buying a theme where the premium plugin is integrated.

(Matt Shaw) #6

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but if you’re looking to create a custom solution, this may be a good start:

Demo: http://tympanus.net/Development/InteractiveColoringConcept/
Tutorial: http://tympanus.net/codrops/2015/04/22/interactive-drag-drop-coloring-concept/

I’ve been planning to add something like this to themes I make in the future as well. It may be possible to extend that into a plugin and add support for page sections, etc. I think it’d be pretty neat to see that in the customizer.

(Leland Fiegel) #7

How is it dishonest if you’re being transparent about it? If cost is of concern, there’s also SiteOrigins Page Builder and Beaver Builder Lite that you can recommend, both of which are free.

I agree with @BinaryMoon that trying to shoehorn an existing drag-and-drop plugin into your theme will be a nightmare.

I think it takes a little bit more thought than that to do such a thing in a way that’s responsible and maintainable for not just your customers, but also yourself.

Can you imagine if Visual Composer (for example’s sake, I understand it’s not an option in this case) had a security vulnerability?

If you bundled it, you’d be responsible for making sure all your customers were up-to-date and secure. Reminds me of the Slider Revolution vulnerability, which was frequently bundled in ThemeForest themes as well.

(Leland Fiegel) #8

That is really slick, thanks for sharing.

(Nicolas Lecocq) #9

Hi @matt, thank you so much for sharing :slight_smile:
@BinaryMoon @leland, I think that’s what I’ll do, I’ll create beautiful pages and on the description and documentation of the theme, I would say that the demo was realized with Visual Composer and Revolution Slider, I think it is the best solution.
This is not a good idea to premium plugins integrated in a theme, I made this mistake with my first theme, now I’ll only recommended plugins.
Thank you :slight_smile:

(Ben) #10

I’d totally agree that it’s not honest to hide this in the theme only - however as long as you make sure it is clear when buying the theme that the theme requires other plugins to work the same as the demo then I don’t see what the problem would be.

I feel bundling plugins in themes is a bad idea (some of this has been said above by @leland :)).

1. It means that you will be responsible for the upkeep of the plugin. If there’s a security problem with the plugin you will have to update the theme and tell all of your customers - even though it’s not your fault.
  2. You will have to support the plugin. However clear you make it - people will come to you with issues for something that you’re not really responsible for.
  3. You will have no power over fixing bugs in the plugins.
  4. It means the plugin author will not earn as much.

I know Visual Composer make bucket loads of cash - so it’s not such a big deal there - but I feel happier knowing they will be able to continue developing the plugin. Plus - if you sell the plugin with an affiliate link then you might make a little more cash on top of the money from the theme.

(Nicolas Lecocq) #11

Exactly, that’s what I’ll do, I’ll be able to create great themes, like I know his two plugins, I can create new modules for Visual Composer.
And the theme could work well without the two plugins for those who will not want to buy them.

(Robby) #12

Hi Nicolas and everyone else!

As mentioned above, you can do this with the free version of Beaver Builder! We’re 100% GPL, so you don’t need to worry about selling the theme on your site, too.

We actually wrote an article that explains some of the best practices of including Beaver Builder in a theme:

One of the big takeaways from that article is that you do not want to bundle the plugin with your theme, but use a plugin like TGM Plugin Activation to do it for you:

This is the “proper” way to include a plugin with a theme since this plugin encourages the user to install the plugin. Then, they’ll be responsible for keeping it updated. This is how Webman Themes and UpThemes are integrating Beaver Builder with their themes.

Another cool feature with Beaver Builder is that you can add an affiliate tracking id to the upgrade button in the page builder. If anyone upgrades Beaver Builder after using it in your themes, you get a 25% commission! :smile:

Hope that helps. Feel free to contact me privately to discuss, too! I am always happy to chat page builders…

robby [at] fastlinemedia [dot] com

(Nicolas Lecocq) #13

Hello, thank you very much I will look at your site and the demo of the plugin, I have one question, what are the differences between the free version and paid versions?
Thank you a lot :slight_smile:

(Ben) #14

I’ve been to your website and I can’t see any links to a free version. Where can I get it from? I’d be interested to take a look.

(Nicolas Lecocq) #15

Hi, there are not yet accepted by wordpress.org, when they accepted, I will put a link on the pages of themes.

(Ben) #16

I was referring to the Beaver Builder plugin - but I’m interested to see what you have as well :slight_smile:

(Nicolas Lecocq) #17

Ah okay, I had misunderstood :slight_smile:

(Robby) #18

Ben, here’s a link to the repo version of Beaver Builder:

(Nicolas Lecocq) #19

Hi, I contacted you to your email for questions about your plugin, thank you :slight_smile: