How to market a brand new freemium plugin

(Dimitri) #1

As a new WordPress plug-in author one of the most difficult task I faced once the product was ready to be delivered was getting some attention from Wordpress users.

The first thing I did was to submit my plugin called Salon Booking System to the official wordpress.org repository and wait that someone start using it.

The second step was to get some attention from the major blogs and online magazines focused on the WordPress world. After the first emails sent with a review request without any response I start making some searches on Google and go a little bit deeper on this hard task.

These are the most popular blog post on this issue:

How To Promote Your New WordPress Plugin – My Detailed Guide

Tips For Promoting Newly Released WordPress Plugins

Tips for marketing WordPress products

How to promote your new WordPress plugin?

All You Need to Know About How to Promote WordPress Plugins and Themes

I’ve to say that despite the advices provided by all those authors, the lesson I learned experimenting each of the tricks suggested was that when a product is very good it doesn’t need any marketing at all.

Good plugins sell themselves thank to the word of mouth of their early users.

So my only advice is to struggle to make a very good product first and let its users promoting it for you.

To be honest a little effort on digital PR, backlink tricks to improve your plugin website SEO could be useful, like this post too, but you can invest as many resources and times in marketing as you want but at the end of the day what really matter is the quality of your product.

I’d very happy to hear some stories from other plugin’s authors to understand how they approached to this task.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and good luck!

Tips to further increase the popularity of a plugin
Marketing for my new awesome WordPress plugin
(Leland Fiegel) #2

Hi Dimitri,

Thanks for joining WP Chat! For starters, I would recommend reading through the following related threads:

Submitting your plugin to WordPress.org is the best way to start, but it’s too passive for an ongoing marketing strategy, especially for a niche as specialized as salon booking.

It’s not surprising that WordPress-focused publications aren’t interested in covering your product. You have to understand that sites like this are just a niche within a niche.

Out of the millions of people that are affected in some way by WordPress, only a small fraction of them keep up with “WordPress community” news. And an infinitesimally smaller fraction of those people are going to ever be interested in a salon booking solution.

If I were you, I’d approach marketing in a completely different way. Don’t worry about trying to get covered on WordPress-related publications, which probably wouldn’t work out that well for you anyway.

Instead, focus on reaching out to salon-related contacts: salon owners, those who manage their websites, and industry-leading salon-related publications.

I’ve actually worked with salon website clients in the past, and I know they tend to use clunky SaaS solutions for booking. Pitch your plugin as a cheaper, self-hosted alternative.

Don’t think about “how to market a brand new freemium plugin,” but rather “how to market a brand new salon booking solution.” I have a feeling you’ll have more success with this strategy.

Best of luck!

(Dimitri) #3

Hi Leland,

thank you for your precious suggestion, trying to marketing inside the salons market could be a good strategy even if I still think that the early adopters are for the most part web designers and web agencies that take care of the salon website.

But I’m agree with you with the need to doesn’t focus on wordpress plug-ins market but on the market of booking solutions for salons.

I’ll keep you posted on our mktg progresses.

Bye!

(Edward Wingert) #4

Nice info you have here. One of the challenging aspects of the “freemium” WordPress business model is advertising the premium version to your users.