Inclusion in wordpress.org Commercially Supported GPL Themes list

Hi,

a couple of weeks ago I submitted our website to be included in the wordpress.org Commercially Supported GPL Themes list.

Anyone knows how long it takes to be approved/rejected normally?

In case of rejection, will we get a notification saying why?

Thanks,

Paolo

(Leland Fiegel) #2

I’d be curious to know too.

I’m waiting on one of my free themes to be approved to WP.org to satisfy the “have at least one theme in the WordPress.org Theme Directory that is actively maintained (i.e. updated within the last year)” requirement before applying.

I’m assuming you already meet all the criteria to be listed?

(Ben) #3

I don’t remember how long it took but it did happen. Generally everything with wordpress.org takes a little while (apart from the plugins team - they’re really good)

(Sonal Sinha) #4

It takes time like 2-3 months for approval. No they don’t say no if you are not included. Make sure to have correct spelling on WordPress in your website, website should be complete, should have more than 1 GPL themes in WordPress.org repository and all your website themes should be GPL.

Not sure why you say that we should have more than 1 theme in the repo when they say:

Have at least one theme in the WordPress.org Theme Directory that is actively maintained.

That wouldn’t make much sense… other than that, thanks for the info!

(Gerasimos) #6

In our case it took about a month or so.

(Miroslav Glavić) #7

So you are curious about something in wordpress.org so you go to wpchat.com to ask the question on a site that has absolutely nothing to do with approval of things in wordpress.org?

By the way WordPress not wordpress or any other variation

Not like wordpress.org has some kind of e-mail address or forums you can ask this question.

Most of the above is sarcasm. Real talk: ask in wordpress.org forums

Why bothering already super busy ppl on wp.org for something like that? I figured here in wpchat.com there could be someone who went through the process before me and was kindly willing to share their experience.

Thanks anyway!

(Leland Fiegel) #9

Was this post (and admitted sarcasm) really necessary?

Of course WP Chat doesn’t have to do with approval of things on WordPress.org. But there are people here with relevant, personal experiences to share. Which they did.

It seems a bit silly to ask the email address listed on the Commercial Themes page how long it would take to get approved, instead of just submitting your application and waiting to find out for yourself. I can’t even imagine how many messages that email box gets per day.

The WordPress.org forums are intended for support of the WordPress software. It’s really not the best place to ask meta questions about aspects of the site itself.

For that, the WordPress Slack organization is probably your best bet. But even in there I doubt you would get any definitive answers beyond “just be patient.”

There are a lot of types of questions that make sense to ask at WP Chat. This is an example of one of them.

(Kakoma) #10

I have applied before…and been rejected.

I applied on 13th December, 2013 and got a response on 19th March 2014. That’s about 3 months. Going by the responses here ( 1 month, 2 months), I’m guessing that the team handling the issues then was probably much smaller.

Here’s why I was rejected (and why subsequently, I’ve never been able to walk out of my house again.). Will we get a notification saying why? Yes!! Quoting verbatim:

Inclusion in the listing requires a statement of the license for the themes – specifically that the themes are 100% GPL compatible – to be somewhere on the site…

We also look for theme shops to have a focus on support and an established support portal in place for helping their customers. While your site does have a support forum, it appears to be completely unused and there is no other available resources or documentation.

Finally, it does not appear as though there is any activity on your site. One of our requirements is that the site be “up-to-date”, by which we mean that the site appears to have some semblance of activity.

The response had a bit more detail that I’ve edited for brevity. So, have these things off your checklist and I believe that in a month or two, you will be approved.

(Kakoma) #11

I’m with you on that. The plugin team are probably chained to their computers, constantly typing, approving stuff and only sleeping based on quotas pre-approved by a handwritten note from the president. They are sooo fast!

(Leland Fiegel) #12

I wouldn’t mind reading the entire response, just out of curiosity. :slight_smile:

(Kakoma) #13

Here goes:

Inclusion in the listing requires a statement of the license for the themes – specifically that the themes are 100% GPL compatible – to be somewhere on the site. We were unable to find such a statement. As you are probably aware, the “100% GPL” requirement means that not only is the PHP code GPL-compatible, so too should all of the theme’s images, JavaScript, and CSS files. The GPL grants users the ability to modify and use the theme on as many sites as they wish, whether it be personal or commercial, and that they may even resell or redistribute the themes. Some theme shops don’t understand or appreciate those stipulations, so I just wanted to make sure it was clear.

We also look for theme shops to have a focus on support and an established support portal in place for helping their customers. While your site does have a support forum, it appears to be completely unused and there is no other available resources or documentation. Our goal is not really to feature theme shops per se, but to guide people to theme shops that can offer them demonstrable commercially available help.

Finally, it does not appear as though there is any activity on your site. One of our requirements is that the site be “up-to-date”, by which we mean that the site appears to have some semblance of activity. Again, we’re looking to refer users to theme shops which appear to be active, engaged, and for which theme development and support appears to be an ongoing focus. It has been over a year since any discernible activity has taken place on the site, which makes it difficult to ascertain if the site is active or not.

As your theme business expands and our requirements are fully met, feel free to resubmit your site for reconsideration.

From my email archives: I applied for the commercial listing on Dec 3, 2015, got an approval response on Jan 12, 2016.

Just make sure you have a proper haiku, we had some misunderstandings regarding it.

(Ben) #15

The Haiku was probably the hardest bit for me as well :slight_smile:

Please define proper Haiku :slight_smile:

I’ve added something like:

“WordPress Themes and Plugins
for your professional
business directory”

WIll that work in your opinion?

I think we have everything covered, now the only doubt is about the proper Haiku… Did you finally manage to get included or you ended up giving up?

(Miroslav Glavić) #18

I asked around people who submitted themes and they said 2-3 months. this was some months ago, nothing really recent (as in the last month or two).

(Kakoma) #19

It went onto my TODO list and somehow dropped off after I shifted focus to building a helpdesk plugin. Reading your question brought all the memories back. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll re-apply in a few weeks - already have a free theme hosted in the repo so I qualify on all counts

(Denis B) #20

Mine took about 3 weeks, got rejected mainly because of support, It wasn’t clear if I offered it or not (I do),

there is no indication that you provide guaranteed support, what conditions you provide support, what constitutes the kind of support you offer, and for how long after purchase you offer support. Our goal is not really to feature theme shops per se, but to guide people to theme shops that can offer them commercially available help. A page specifying your support policy should address this concern.

And the other reason was Licencing:

We also like to have a clear statement as to the licensing of your themes. While you do have the statement “All our themes are GPL compatible” on the front page of your site, your licensing isn’t mentioned anywhere else. We recommend you include a page indicating and explaining how all your themes and products are licensed and that they are 100% GPL compatible (assuming that they all, which they must be for you to be listed). You can look to some of the other sites already on the list; most include a “Terms”, “Terms and Conditions”, or “License” link in some sort of global navigation menu that links to a page that states and explains it. Some also mention 100% GPL compatibility as a feature or info on the individual pages for their themes. Note that saying your themes are “GPL compatible” is great, though you should explicitly state what license they actually have (such as GPLv2).