Interview with Steven Gliebe – on Pro Plugin Directory

(Brin Wilson) #1

I posed a few questions to Steven Gliebe from Pro Plugin Directory and he was kind enough to answer them. Thoroughly enjoyed this one: http://winningwp.com/pro-plugin-directory/ …let’s try to make it happen for him, and in fact, for anyone who’s ever struggled to find a decent premium WP plugin in general! :wink:

I am big fan of this project, it looks promising. I found some past similar projects which failed, hope this will grow up.
Quality interview, always interesting and helpful to hear something from inside house :wink:

(Brin Wilson) #3
  • I’d like to take a look at some of these if you happen to remember any? Maybe there are some lessons to be learned?

This one for example http://wphuddle.com/ Developer of Formidable forms is behind that. Especially check that retro logo :wink:

Anyway how is mentioned in interview some similar sites exist, sometimes I found something like that, but its hard to find them :smiley: and remember them too.

Btw. I hope @stevengliebe will consider better hosting for this project, that site loading somehow too long for me in Europe compared to other sites hosted in US.

(Brin Wilson) #5
  • yeah, that logo is kind of, errrr, colorful… :smile:

(Steven Gliebe) #6

I do need some better hosting for it. It’s running on Media Temple. Been meaning to get off of them since GoDaddy took over. You have me second guessing skipping the CDN too.

There are some directories that handle free and paid plugins in various ways but WP Huddle is the only other attempt I know of that focused on commercial plugins. I was told about it when they submitted Formidable Pro! :smile: The site says there are 13,000 free plugins. We’re up to, I think, 38,000 now so that was some time ago!

Google’s logo is pretty colorful too. Circa… 1998?

(Dev Sharma) #7

It is always a pleasure to read interviews like this one, Brin. Some great insights, there :wink:.

Pro Plugin Directory looks like a fantastic project (love the clean design, tho) and I think it could easily become the go-to place for finding premium plugins.

The fact that @stevengliebe isn’t charging any fee and allowing plugin authors to write their own description, makes it even more sustainable. This will give him more time to focus on marketing side of things.

Good luck with the project, Steven.

(Steven Gliebe) #8

Thank Devesh! Okay, Discourse wants at least 20 characters… there.

(Steven Gliebe) #9
Btw. I hope @stevengliebe will consider better hosting for this project, that site loading somehow too long for me in Europe compared to other sites hosted in US.

Hey Peter, do you notice a difference in the site load speed now? I moved it from Media Temple to SiteGround. It seems faster to me and Pingom is confirming this but I wonder how quick it is for you now. Any improvement from Europe?

Hey @stevengliebe, it looks faster now.
I just experience, that after each reload, main menu is not clickable, it takes few seconds when I can click to another menu item.

(Steven Gliebe) #11

Thanks Peter. Moving in the right direction, I guess! :smile: