Is it possible to sell theme ownership of wp.org and premium theme hosting in my own theme marketplace?

(Rajan Lama) #1

I am theme developer. I have my own theme marketplace but I am a good programmer but bad in marketing person, I want to sell my themes shop/marketplace. currently, I have free themes and one premium theme hosted, but I will launch second premium theme soon. And I want to sell ownership. I have never heard that theme ownership can be sell but if it is possible I will sell my theme ownership. if you are interested please message me.

(Leland Fiegel) #2

Not sure I’m following what you mean. What exactly are you trying to sell? Sounds like you have your own theme shop and also distribute themes on WP.org? Feel free to provide links here.

I think it is possible to transfer ownership of a WP.org theme, as well as just handing over an entire account, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Just be careful you’re not selling to some evil spammer. :slight_smile:

You can read more about that here: https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/09/coordinated-plugin-spam/

(Hudson Atwell) #3

If you contact WordPress.org support as the original author they’ll transfer it to who you ask them to.

It’s possible to sell your entire business on Flippa.

There’s also the emergence of service providers who handle the marketing side for product creators. getellipsis.com is only one I’ve run into, but I am sure there will be more companies like them popping up over the next 5 years.

On the other hand you could lease management to someone for a year while retaining ownership. Ask for 3-10% revenue before expenses, and let new blood run your company while you work on other projects.

I’ll flip this thread on Twitter too to see if anyone is interested in getting in touch.

(Rajan Lama) #4

Thank you so much Hudon, for your kind information and posting on twitter.

(Rajan Lama) #5

Thank you so much Leland for your reply.