Limit Login Attempts Reloaded

After long discussions with the owner of the original Limit Login Attempts, WordPress plugin team and other helpful people. We have decided to create our own copy that we will completely support and update.

Please welcome Limit Login Attempts Reloaded.

We have addressed and fixed a few most important complains that were provided by the users of the old Limit Login Attempts plugin and have added a few of our own improvements. The plugin is a clone and we plan on keeping it fresh.
Install it the same way you would any other WordPress plugin. If you would like to replace the old one follow these instructions:

1. Log in to your site’s admin panel
  2. Go to the Plugins section
  3. Remove the Limit Login Attempts plugin
  4. Install the Limit Login Attempts Reloaded plugin.

It will pick up the settings from the old one. Enjoy the updated version!

You can find your own copy here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/limit-login-attempts-reloaded

3 Likes

Nice, as a user of Limit Login Attempts, I’ll be sure to check this out.

I’m curious about what happened between when you posted this thread and now.

It sounds like you got in touch with the developer of Limit Login Attempts and WP.org staff. Is there some reason you didn’t just adopt the plugin and push your updates through the WP.org update system?

We did get in touch with the developer and he is now working on a completely different (unrelated to WordPress) project and has no desire to continue with Limit Login Attempts plugin. At the same time he doesn’t want to sell or delegate his plugin to anybody else. He was not willing to share any other information. Which we understand perfectly as if this plugin ever gets into wrong hands bad things could happen.

The WP.org staff recommended creating our own version of the plugin and told us that they never reassign ownership of plugins especially if it’s a very popular one. They recommended putting a few years in contributing to the WordPress community but even with that there’s no guarantee that they would ever allow it. So after all these, it was a no-brainer to release our own copy.

By the way, yesterday we got our first 5-star review from a user who just discovered Limit Login Attempts Reloaded on his own:

"Gald to see "reloaded"
By EBurden, August 9, 2016 for WP 4.5.3

I’ve been using the original by Johan Eenfeldt on all my sites but noticed earlier this week that it hadn’t been updated in four years. Still working but was getting worried and started to look for a replacement.

Thanks for this reloaded version. Looks like the original, which has been doing an excellent job keeping my sites safe. It’s super simple, does what it says, works great. I just tweak the settings stricter, which again is easy and my WP life is good.

Thanks."

1 Like