Marketing/Promotion of a theme?

(Danny Jones) #1

Hey guys,

Im wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips for how to handle general marketing/raising awareness of a free theme?

Im asking as iv recently done a massive update to my theme and think its worth shouting about, but beyond the usual tweets and facebook posts, how can I promote my work?

It seems unless your theme is featured/very new, it kind of vanishes from the directory unless im lucky :slight_smile:

Any insight here would be wonderful

Cheers, Danny

The best way to promote your theme AND your website is to invest heavily in content marketing.
You can contact popular websites but I doubt they will response back. Try posting your themes to -

I’ll update the list if I can remember. Try to update your theme on every week, Every time I updated download gets little spike. Theme sell/download picks up most when they get featured in other blogs such - themefurnace. But truth to be told market is heavily competitive. Few years back it used to be easy sell theme but now it has become much more fierce. More and more quality themes are coming to market everyday. Releasing theme is just a start unless your invest heavily on content marketing your theme won’t pick up on sales.

To get more insight of how theme promotion works, I’d suggest you to look into transparency report. You will get the overall idea which channel works for theme promotion.

(Leland Fiegel) #3

I wouldn’t bother with most of the sites @Ashiq listed. They look super sketchy and out of date. Although some of the sites listed on might be worthwhile, it’s unlikely you’d hear back.

Forgive my bluntness, but I’m not sure how else to put this…

While luck can certainly be a factor in a theme’s success, all the luck in the world couldn’t help DistinctPress, because there are literally thousands of other free WordPress themes with the exact same layout and clean/minimalist style.

The #1 thing you need to do is to make a theme that stands out from the crowd. Easier said than done, I know, but if you can figure that out, these WordPress news outlets will be coming to you rather than the other way around.

WP Tavern has a category for themes. I suggest starting there for a better idea of what type of themes get featured beyond the recently published list on

While it’s agreeable for most sties but nonetheless it worth a try. “Justfreethemes” is very much active might contribute few more downloads. So I’d definitely recommend to submit “Free version” there. And the “luck” part is kinda true.

btw you can try guest blog posting in godaddy, sitepoint and torquemag as part of your theme promotion strategy.

targeting your niche market rather than general wordpress community might work better for something as saturated