MasterWP - A free email course for WordPress

(Ben) #1

I’m sure nobody on here needs it but I am currently putting together a new course (along with Alex Denning - former owner of WPShout.com) all about WordPress.

The course is targeted at people who have bought (or downloaded) themes, and now want to know how to customise and optimise their site.

The initial offering is a free 7 day email course - but if it’s popular we’re going to look at creating a more advanced paid course.

I’d love to get feedback on the idea, and find out if anyone has suggestions for the types of things you’d like to see in a course like this.

(Gerasimos) #2

Great idea, good luck :slight_smile:

I think that you should include a section describing your advanced paid course. For some reason, I believe that if you do that, people who are familiar with the topics from the free course, will subscribe just to evaluate the course and wait for the advanced one. But this is just me thinking out loud :slight_smile:

(Ben) #3

Thanks! :slight_smile:
we’ll probably have a follow up email at the end of the course asking for feedback and mentioning the paid course. Since we haven’t actually done any work on the advanced one yet we don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves :slight_smile:

(Gerasimos) #4

Ah, makes sense. Great, good luck :slight_smile:

(Leland Fiegel) #5

I signed up. Not really the target market, just out of curiosity.

I think it is a good idea and there is definitely a huge market for “implementer” (as @tom described it) education.

Some things that I think people could learn more about:

• Technical SEO (meta descriptions, title tags, etc.)
  • Social sharing with OpenGraph data
  • Basics of marketing. Setting up email courses.
  • Basics of monetization. Selling products? Ads?
  • Open ended, but basically anything else that would set the site owner up for success

There’s so much more to making a successful website than installing a theme. I feel many get discouraged when their site doesn’t immediately get a ton of traffic and make enough money to retire early.

Off topic, but really nice design on the landing page.

(Ben) #6

Hey Leland - thanks for that.

You got the target market spot on - I’ve written about implementers on Pro Theme Design - I think they’re a great way for people to get into web developement and WordPress.

Thanks for the notes on the topics too - there’s a few things there I hadn’t considered. We are planning a module on marketing but hadn’t considered all the things you mentioned.

Really pleased you like the design of the site too! :slight_smile:

BTW - look out for a Themetry mention in the first lesson!

(Leland Fiegel) #7

Just got that email. Thanks! Much appreciated. :slight_smile: