One month of WPChat. Shiny charts and stats inside

(Leland Fiegel) #1

Not sure if anybody noticed this tweet yesterday, but I can’t believe it’s already been one month of WPChat!

So tomorrow is the one month anniversary of WPChat. The new WPChat, not the one with the IRC chatroom embed. Time sure does fly! :D

— [WP Chat][1] (@wpchat) September 17, 2014

And I couldn’t be happier with the growth I’ve seen so far.

In the past 30 days, we have 176 members and over 1000 posts spread through over 100 topics.

I don’t run Google Analytics on the site, mainly because I don’t really care too much about analytics on this site, but more concerned with actual forum activity.

But Discourse actually does offer some basic stats in their dashboard. Here’s a screenshot:

Also, the mail provider I use, Mandrill, offers some interesting insights on the email deliveries. This is the fancy chart I was talking about:

It looks like we have activity in every continent on the planet. Not too shabby for a month.

Some thoughts:

• Not sure if you noticed from the stats, but it’s very clear who our top referrer is. Thanks @Jeffro for all you’ve done in promoting the forum. I doubt it would be anywhere near as popular as it is now without you. :smiley:

• It looks like we’re getting quite a bit of traffic from Facebook. Would you be interested in a Facebook page as well? Right now the only “official” WPChat social media presence is on Twitter. The Facebook page would probably just auto-post stuff that I post on Twitter, more of a convenience factor than anything.

• Throughout all this, including “stress tests” the $10/month Digital Ocean server has kept chugging along without any noticeable hiccups. Although I do keep backups up-to-date, just in case. :smiley:

• Any other feedback? I’m all ears.

WPChat now uses Google Analytics
(Niels van Renselaar) #2

Nice! I check it out daily. I don’t always have time to reply, but I read almost every thread. A Facebook page is nice, groups are there enough but a page which occasionally shares some nice thread would be welcome.

Congrats on the results!

(Leland Fiegel) #3

Thanks @nielsvr, appreciate it!

(Mark Senff) #4

Antarctica is a continent, too! X-(

Personally, I don’t care too much about having a Facebook page too. Redundancy comes to mind, but also the fact that when you post about a thread that’s taking place here, people may respond there, so you’d have 2 discussions going on. Though, of course, I’m all for driving traffic here. :smiley:

Good to see things are growing!

(Leland Fiegel) #5

Ha, totally true. I guess what I meant to say was “every continent on the planet with greater than 0 permanent residents.” :smiley: Although, maybe we can find some science team working down there to join WPChat to make my original quote more accurate.

Good point. I’ve noticed on Twitter some people try to carry on discussions there, but only as an extension of what they’ve already said on WPChat itself.

One of the main reasons I started WPChat is so it could be a centralized source of discussion, so if there was a Facebook page it would be to point traffic to and encourage discussion on WPChat, not to make discussions more fragmented than they already are.

(Brian Ross) #6

NO! Have you tried to keep up with discussions on the AWP Facebook group? It’s a nightmare! :dizzy_face:

(Leland Fiegel) #7

Noted. :smiley:

I’m not a member of the AWP Facebook group but I can imagine it can get kinda messy.

If I did make a Facebook page (which I’m leaning more and more against) it would be for the sole purpose of driving traffic to WPChat itself (i.e. just autoposting new threads, etc.) for convenience, or something like that.

The last thing I’d want is another discussion medium disjointed from the original source.

(Jeff C) #8

You’re welcome. With that out of the way, I bet the Facebook referrer is because of the mentions on the Advanced WordPress group on Facebook which has over 9,000 members. If I were you, I’d stay away from a Facebook presence with WPChat, it’s not needed.

(Carl) #9

I’ve only just joined WPChat and have to say that I really like it! I like the discourse as well very good! I agree with @Jeffro here I don’t think you need facebook here. I can only see this forum getting bigger and bigger!

Congrats @leland

(james) #10

congrulations Lealand I think yo have a hit , I joined a couple other sites but they have so many restriction enforced , i.m afraid to say anything . im not a developer I don’t build plugins, im trying to build my own site . its just nice to have a place to go and help someone out or get help whatever the case maybe .you did a good job putting this site together .lot of interesting topics thanks again for putting this place together .

ps facebook is overated .

(Stephen Cronin) #11

Hi @leland,

I just want to say thanks for sharing the stats - it’s very interesting to see them and most people don’t share that sort of stuff. Big kudos to you!