Headway Themes, home of an eponymous drag and drop WordPress theme, has allegedly not been paying their support staff, and not supporting their paying customers.
In a community that values honesty and transparency, Headway brass have made matters worse with their inexplicable coyness about the whole situation. Going so far as to complain about not being approached for comment, only to not provide one when finally asked.
- Former Headway Themes Employee Goes Public: Staff Has Not Been Paid and Customers Are Not Receiving Support (most recent WP Tavern article about Headway’s supposed troubles, which references the first-hand account linked directly below, and where the “No Comment” screenshot was taken above)
- Headway Themes: What’s Going On? (first-hand account from former “Support Guru” at Headway)
- Customers Still in the Dark Concerning the Future of Headway Themes (WP Tavern article follow-up about how Headway customers still have no clue what’s going on)
- Headway Theme’s Future is Uncertain Amidst Financial Troubles (first WP Tavern article about Headway’s supposed troubles)
- Headway Themes (warning: do not buy) (reddit thread which seemed to start this whole thing, beyond scattered tweets)
To most people, not paying employees what they’re owed and not providing customers the service they paid for amounts to…fraud. But in the WordPress community, apparently some believe such reporting amounts to a “a bit of a witch hunt.”
The term “witch hunt” should be reserved for totally absurd and baseless accusations. For example, being accused of practicing witchcraft because you can swim.
It’s not like the witches neglected to pay their cauldron brewing assistants, then ignored them when they asked when they’d be paid. Or sold flying brooms with support and updates included for a year, only to leave support-seekers hanging for months on end.
If what Headway is doing is true, it’s unacceptable and indefensible. This situation has the appearance of a page out of the W3 Total Cache playbook, and it’s disturbing to think that some may read dismissive “witch hunt” comments and conclude that this sort of behavior is tolerable. It is absolutely not.
I, for one, will not be recommending Headway or Pressmatic (they’re related whether the owner likes it or not) until this issue is adequately resolved. I won’t hold my breath.