Single WordPress Theme Shop vs Multiple WordPress Theme Shop

(Damith) #1

Single Theme Shop : WP Astra, Ocean WP

Multiple Theme Shop : Theme Junkie, My Theme Shop

I am a WordPress plugin developer, but like to enter the theme business .

What are the advantages / disadvantages of Single Theme Shop vs Multiple Theme Shop as a WP business theme owner?

My plan is to fork a theme and adding more features and build a business like WP Astra for a specific area something like “Best Adsense Optimized WordPress Theme in the Market”.

What type of research should I do before starting it? What type of things should I do to success my business?

Thanks.

(Leland Fiegel) #2

Coming from the perspective of someone who runs a “multiple WordPress theme shop,” as with anything, each business model has its pros and cons.

Having multiple themes can be tough to maintain. If WordPress has a new core feature (like Gutenberg), you have to apply that to each of your themes, not just one.

You might be able to get around this by going the framework/child theme route, like Genesis, but I’m guessing each child theme would still have to be checked to make sure new features work as expected.

On the other hand, all-in-one themes (I like to call them Frankenthemes) aren’t necessarily easy to maintain either because they tend to be much more complicated to meet the needs of a broader customer base.

With that said, I often hear of other people who don’t buy my themes in favor of these Frankenthemes “because they have more options.” These people like to tinker and customize their themes extensively without writing any code. That’s fine, as this isn’t my target market. But if it sounds like yours, then it’s something you may want to consider.

I think you’re on the right track by trying to position your product as “the best [something]” although “Adsense optimized” is kind of a vague term. How exactly is it “optimized”? Usually this means it just has lots of spaces for Adsense ad-shaped ad spots, but how was it determined that where the ad spots are is the “optimized” placement?

This might be a good idea, but it would be nice if you had data to back it up. I also see “SEO optimized” themes a lot, but it’s not clear how exactly they’re SEO optimized besides “clean code” (this seems subjective) and “fast loading” (they almost never are).

(Damith) #3

@leland Thanks for the great idea.

There are many case studies about Adsense ad placement to get better revenue. I use them…

Both SEO and load time is critical factor for Adsense base site.

Page load time and SEO optimized: This is also be a main feature. SEO optimized is just a marketing term since it is just clean code with right tags. Page load time mean I try to get high score in Google PageSpeed Insights in market. Then I market it.

Then I maintain a blog on site about adsense placement tips, case studies about adsense, etc

Am I in right track or do I need to consider more things?

(Leland Fiegel) #4

I think you’re on the right track to specialize in something. You want to be known as “the Adsense theme person” or something like that. Get case studies from high-revenue Adsense sites using your theme with comparisons between their old theme and your theme.

I’m just a little iffy on the “Adsense optimized” thing. It seems a bit dated as publications shift to other monetization methods (paid subscriptions, sponsored content, content licensing, selling products, etc.). I’m not too familiar with the “Adsense community” (if that’s a thing) so I wouldn’t worry too much about what I think if you’re confident about it though. :slight_smile: