Transferring Envato accounts is not allowed

(Leland Fiegel) #1

Thanks to a tweet from @andreasnrb, it was brought to my attention that transferring Envato (like ThemeForest, CodeCanyon, etc.) accounts is not allowed.

For background, see section 9 of the Envato Market Terms:

Your responsibility: You promise that information you give us is true, accurate and complete and that you will keep your account information up-to-date (including a current email address). Your membership is not transferrable. You are responsible for any use of the Envato Market sites that occurs in conjunction with your username and password so keep your password secure and don’t let any other person use your username or password. If you realise there’s any unauthorized use of your password or any breach of security you need to let us know immediately.

Emphasis mine.

Apparently, themes can be transferred to another account, but any account history (sales numbers, “Elite” status, badges, etc.) cannot.

While I don’t quite understand the reasoning behind the rule, I don’t want WP Chat to facilitate the breaking of that rule, so, I’m formally disallowing any WP Chat threads advertising the sales of Envato accounts.

As with any transaction, do your due diligence. :slight_smile:

Selling Themeforest Elite Account 4000$ + Profit
I'm selling my Themeforest's Business, it's the right way?
Want to Sell My ThemeForest Products
Selling ThemeForest account and the premium theme associated
Trying to sell a themeshop
(Leland Fiegel) #2

Stickying this post because people still constantly try to sell Envato accounts here.

If you have a problem with this, talk to Envato, not me.

I’m happy to allow posts about selling Envato accounts if they allowed it. At this time, they don’t.

If you start a ThemeForest theme business with the intention of selling it one day, consider this before building it on a platform where it’s against the rules to sell the associated account.

(Leland Fiegel) #3

(Lowell Montgomery) #4

It does (at least to me) make sense that they would put a rule in place to prevent selling Envato accounts. Why? Let’s look at some good reasons:

• You are the artist/designer/coder/independent business-person who gives your account its reputation. A person who buys your account and reputation may have none of those skills (and, indeed, be untrustworthy)
  • If people could start accounts, build rep, and then sell, they may do that multiple times and the business becomes Envato account flipping. In the end, Envato’s quality would be affected. Buyers of themes (or whatever) would never know if they are contacting the person they actually purchased from. And the new owner would have less incentive to provide service (if they even know how) to existing customers. It would all add up to a downward spiral of Envato quality.
  • If transfer of accounts were allowed, it would give extra incentive to hackers to gain access to valuable accounts and claim ownership in order to sell those accounts.

On the other hand, if your account is owned and registered under a business name with email that could stay the same and, one day, you sold the business to another entity, who continues your good work and understands maintaining the reputation, I suspect that the business sale could allow inclusion of the Envato account. That assumes that the owner of the Envato account is a design studio and continues to be the same design studio (only the ownership of the studio changes hands). But people/companies in that situation would probably want to do more than assume my assumption is correct. :wink:

(Leland Fiegel) #5

Totally get what you’re saying. It would definitely be a problem if people with deep pockets just bought out as many accounts as they could, then slacked on the support and maintenance after taking over, while continuing to cash out on sales.

I’m just not sure a blanket ban on transferring accounts really solves anything. Just acts as another deterrent for building your business on Envato.

This is the ideal use case for transferring accounts. I’d love to see Envato clarify this. I’m just not sure how the “maintaining the reputation” part could be effectively gauged.

I’d rather let things work themselves out naturally with bad reviews/ratings, if warranted. And hopefully some transparency about the switch. Not some shadowy deal where customers have no idea a totally new team is taking over the support and maintenance of the products they bought.