URL posted in comment, can it affect site SEO?

(Miroslav Glavić) #1

So when you comment on a post someone wrote in their WP based site…
You have to put your name, e-mail, optional URL, then the actual comment.

The only way to see the URLs comments post is hover your mouse over their names.

If that URL they post…can it affect my site’s SEO in any way or does Google and the others ignore the URL a commenter posts?

(Ben) #2

Depends on the how the theme is coded - but as long as the url is nofollow it shouldn’t affect you.

(Faruk Erdogan) #3

Plus

Google does not evaluate backlink anymore. The most important value for Google is true information which is located in your website related search term and spending time on your website.

Don’t spend your time and money for backlink.

(Leland Fiegel) #4

In the past, contrary to popular belief, even nofollowed links could affect your “PageRank flow” but this may be out-of-date information today. Some reading related to that back in 2009: https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/

Some people even recommended loading comments through an iFrame so they wouldn’t effect PageRank and other things like “keyword density” but I never bothered with it and felt the pros (“fresh” content from blog comments) outweighed the cons.

Do you have a source for this?

(Faruk Erdogan) #5

Nope. Google does not share their algorithm for SEO. So, there are just speculations. When you search the internet for the value of Backlinks, there are some professionals’ reviews for backlinks effects. Related content and spending time on your website is more significant for Google, not the spam backlinks.

(Leland Fiegel) #6

I’m aware Google does not share their algorithm, but I’ll look around for sources of the speculation. I don’t doubt Google is rewarding good content more but I find it hard to believe they don’t evaluate backlinks at all anymore.

(Peter) #7

My point of view is, that everything on the website affect users and SEO too. A site without links in a comment section is not the same like one with links. Google crawl evertyhing, even CSS. Also nofollow/noindex/whatever link is still a link on the website.

If I read some interesting comment and author has personal website linked there, it’s helpful for me. I don’t see any reason, why would Google ignore that fact.

(Faruk Erdogan) #8

I have to say that, there are no written rules about that. The problem is that backlinking is not a trustable way to understand the reaching the true content. It is easy as spending $5. See below;

My experiance for the best SEO is that focusing the great content.

(Miroslav Glavić) #9

There are plugins that strip the URL when people comment.

If I like a comment on someone that posted, I will hover over their name and see click the website URL to see if it’s interesting (open in a new tab).