What Happens If GPL is changed after I do something?

(Damith) #1

I found that 100% GPL premium WordPress theme and after small discussion with founder, he confirmed that I can resell the theme after modification.

I asked it because it is ethical. As I know even without asking, legally I can resell the theme if it is 100% GPL.

But my question is, What happen if owner changed their theme to GPL to Non-GPL licence in future?

What will happen then? Will it be a problem for me?

Please see a lawyer. We can talk about GPL and license switches, but you are actually in the same scenario as the person you bought the code from, so you really need to understand what you are doing as a merchant. :slight_smile:

(Leland Fiegel) #3

I would recommend reading through the license to better understand it.

For example, in GPL v3, it says this:

All rights granted under this License are granted for the term of copyright on the Program, and are irrevocable provided the stated conditions are met.

I bolded the word “irrevocable” which means the copyright owner can’t revoke the license once you have already obtained a copy.

The copyright owner can change licensing terms on future versions however they want, but that wouldn’t affect the GPL-licensed copy already in your possession.

Pinging @richardbest to see if he has any additional thoughts.