What is the best way to track how your free theme is doing on wordpress.org?

(Shilpa Shah) #1

We have a bunch of themes on wordpress.org but I have been struggling with finding a reliable way to track how we are doing.
’# of downloads’ is one of the key numbers, I guess - but ‘# of active installs’ is obviously a better metric - 'cause it tells you about the theme stickiness & whether users like it enough to actually use it.
But the # of active installs on wp.org -
a. gets rounded off by a huge margin
b. doesn’t seem to get updated very often
For e.g one of our themes had 100,000+ active installs and I didn’t find out how it was doing, until the number got updated recently to 90,000+
So I was pretty much clueless until we dropped by 10K installs.
We don’t have a callback in any of our themes. Any ideas / suggestions on how to track this?

(Leland Fiegel) #2

I know some plugins will prompt you to opt-in to phone home anonymized analytics, sometimes in exchange for some sort of discount on premium products. I have never seen a theme do it before (but I’m pretty selective about the free themes I use on WordPress.org), but that would pretty much be your only option.

(Anh Tran) #3

Probably you need help from Freemius. They provide insights for themes and plugins. They are compatible with wordpress.org rules.

Disclaimer: I’m not in any affiliate with Freemius. I’m also trying it with my free themes there. Not integrated yet, still looking into the system.

(Leland Fiegel) #5

Tagging @vovafeldman in case he would like to talk about Freemius.

(Shilpa Shah) #6

Thanks ! Freemius is one of the things that I am considering too - and that seems to be the easiest way to go for now…I just wish there was some way within wp.org to see this number on a daily basis though - just the way we see a graph for Downloads…

(Shilpa Shah) #7

Thanks a bunch @leland !

(Vova Feldman) #8

Thanks for the mention @rilwis and @leland.

@shilpa Freemius Insights is the way to go. It will help you to see your effective growth, track uninstall reasons, site URLs, and even the emails of the site owners that opt-in to usage-tracking. Here’s the type of data that you can get:

In fact, Freemius is the only solution in the market that does analytics and usage-tracking for WordPress themes and plugins. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions - always happy to help.