What other CMS has the potential to compete with WordPress?

(Moeez) #1

WordPress has been the best CMS for quite some time. But do you think any other CMS has what it takes to give WordPress a tough competition?

(baldwin jackson) #2

Well mate WordPress was initially launch for blogging in way back in 2003 which turn into market sensation within no time due to several reason like: performance, flexibility, support and resources. There are few alternative to WordPress who can give real though time:

1. Drupal
  2. Sitecore
  3. HubSpot COS
  4. Shopify
  5. BigCommerce
  6. Joomla
  7. WebGUI
  8. Magento
  9. eZ Platform
  10. MODX

But we can’t denied the ground reality which can be determine through Google Trends I would like to share stats from 2010 till date and there wasn’t any shocking result as WordPress been leading among all 3 top CMS. There are few edges which differentiate WordPress from other CMS like WooCommerce, Multisite, Speed Optimization and Responsive whereas platform like Cloudways Managed WordPress Hosting makes the process smooth which allow users to deploy any level website within few clicks.

(Faruk Erdogan) #3

I think we should compare the ecosystem for these CMSs.

• If you don’t find any developer easily,
  • If you don’t find any plugin for your needs easily,
  • If you don’t find any document easily,
  • If you don’t find any a good reference for any solution (easily),
  • If you don’t find any good community,

We can not talk about having a good ecosystem for any solution. Because of these lack of other CMSs, WordPress is the leader of the CMS market.

(Leland Fiegel) #4

As far as open source software goes, maybe flatfile CMSs like Jekyll. Maybe newer blogging software like Ghost. These still require steeper learning curves (and sometimes, hosting requirements) than WordPress though, which is why WordPress will probably have the most market share out of any CMS for the foreseeable future.

I’d say its biggest “threats” are hosted platforms like Shopify (ecommerce specifically), Medium (blogging specifically), and website builders like SquareSpace and Wix.

While managed WordPress hosts have helped somewhat, I believe there’s still room for a more intuitive experience, especially during the on-boarding process.

(Moeez) #5

I agree. I think Wix also has some features that attract bloggers. When you take into consideration what those bloggers want (a simple and robust publishing platform), platforms like Medium seems better.