Which platform should I choose to create my ecommerce store?

I have been operating a small store, selling mobile accessories on Facebook. Now that I have enough customers and investment, I am thinking of starting an ecommerce store selling mobiles and related accessories. However, I am confused between two platforms: WooCommerce and Magento.

I know that WooCommerce is easier to setup, but I have heard that since it is a WP Plugin, it could cause some performance issues, which is one of my biggest concerns. Magento, while not that easy, has more customization options, another one of my concern.

So, which one should I choose if I am starting with 100 SKUs and want both customization options and best performance?

(Leland Fiegel) #2

I think the traditional logic used to go something like this:

• If you want performance/scaling, go with Magento.
  • If you want an easier-to-use, more-customizable platform, use WooCommerce.
  • If you don’t want to worry about infrastructure at all, go with a hosted solution like Shopify or BigCommerce.

But WordPress.com just changed all that, by allowing custom themes and plugins on an experimental basis. WooCommerce included.

That might be an option to look into. For a small store, since I’m already familiar with WooCommerce and WordPress, I’d probably still go with WooCommerce hosted on Digital Ocean or something like that. You can always migrate to managed hosting later.

For a store that I didn’t want to worry about infrastructure at all, I’d seriously consider Shopify, although I’ve never used it before.

(Ben) #3

Personally I would avoid using WordPress for this sort of thing. If I were going to run a store I’d use Shopify (or similar).

They take care of all the complicated things - and you don’t have to worry about things like storing customer data & customer security. You can focus on selling your products.

(Chris Henry) #4

That’s a very good move that you are looking to develop an ecommerce store. Yes, you are right that WooCommerce is much easier to use as compared to Magento but don’t forget that security is the most important factor for any ecommerce store. WooCommerce lacks in terms security so Magento looks better here. Magento is also better than WooCommecre in many other factors too. Overall, Magento is far better than WooCommerce so I will recommend you Magento.

You can also check this great comparison that will help you to take a good decision: Magento VS. WooCommerce

(Leland Fiegel) #5

Care to back this statement up?

Also, are you affiliated in any way with the Magenticians website?