Who is using Atom? Because it's awesome

(Jason) #1

Just curious who here has given Atom a shot. The more I use it, the more I like it. I used to use Vim and Sublime Text (with vim mode), but now I’ve happily switched over to Atom. I strongly recommend checking it out, if you haven’t already. I saw it before, but wanted to wait until it went 1.0, which it did at the end of June.

Here’s a few things that won me over:

• It’s so crazy hackable it has the most successful “vim mode” I’ve ever seen. Most of the time I feel like I have to pick between all the capabilities of vim, or a spiced up editor (e.g. Sublime Text), because the vim mode is pretty weak. With Atom, it really feels like vim, and if there’s something I don’t like or want to extend – e.g. setting semi-colon to open command-mode – it’s very easy to do.
  • It took me 1 minute to get PHP and JS linting working perfectly. If you’ve dealt with that, enough said.
  • Like Vim, it has a tree-view like NerdTree that I can traverse from my keyboard, and opens buffers (panes) that I can switch between quickly with just my keyboard.
  • It’s built using Electron, which is fascinating for one, but otherwise makes things like keyboard shortcuts very easy to understand as its all css selectors.
  • It’s so shiny and fun!!!

Interested to hear others’ thoughts on Atom!

SaaS for the sake of SaaS
(Enrique Chavez) #2

Yeah, is a great editor.

I’ve been using it since 3 weeks now or so, but I’m still in love with Sublime Text.

(Rhys Wynne) #3

Not used it (still in Sublime 2). Probably should check it out soon. I’d like to see the Git Integration (which doesn’t really work in Sublime from my experience).

(Jason) #4

I really feel like Atom is what Sublime Text intends to be. Aside from packages that exist for ST that don’t, yet, for Atom, I’m not sure of anything I miss that I don’t have now. @EChavez, what do you find that ST has that Atom doesn’t?

@rhyswynne: I really like the git integration in the view tree and editor (you see which files have be added/modified in the tree, and what lines you’ve added/modified in the file). I know you can do more with a git package, but admittedly it’s still too limited for me; I generally just alt+tab between Atom and a terminal for handling git commands.

(Enrique Chavez) #5

To be honest, nothing, Atom is a damn good editor.

I was able to duplicate all my ST environment in Atom and I find myself using it more often, I’m in love with ST just because I’ve been using it for the last 3-4 years, but Atom is now an affair. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jason) #6

Oh, good, you had me worried for a moment there. :slight_smile:

(Hudson Atwell) #7

I’m waiting to see if there’s a method/function parser / viewer mod before I try and switch.

Here’s a comparison of PHPStorm’s function viewier versus Notepad++'s function viewer. I like Notepad++'s better:

I’m also waiting for a console manager so I can run multiple command line instances from within the editor. PHPStorm has this. Doesn’t seem notepad++ does though.

Also, PHPStorm discovers gulp & grunt files in a project’s directory and helps run their inner tasks with a click of the button. It’s another reason I’m still stuck with PHPStorm.

I wrote a comparison between the two (notepad++ and phpstorm) but I am waiting to be helped into Atom…

(Jason) #8

Have you looked through the packages for those? The first option when searching gulp yielded the Gulp Manager, which seems promising. I know there’s a php class package as well for the tree view.

Admittedly, I’m really not a fan of full blown IDE’s. If I can help it, I avoid them, as I find them slow, cumbersome, and overwhelming (there’s usually so many features you either have to dig for or never even discover). In my workflow I generally have an editor and terminal going, and I flip back and forth between them as I go. As nifty as it is to have one mega tool, I find that I prefer smaller, leaner tools that just do what they do and do it well. Still, if that’s your preference (and it’s not wrong), then awesome!

The big thing to keep in mind with Atom is that it’s actually a very simple tool. It’s intended to be hackable and easily extended so you make it into however much of a beast or lean tool as you want. Even the core features (e.g. tree view) are packages that are simply included with Atom.

(Hudson Atwell) #9

Awesome, the above is why I believe atom is promising too. I’m like you I love speed. That’s why Notepad++ was fantastic and why I eat my tears with PHPStorm.

The issue here is that because I work on a windows machine the command line tool is weak for development and an IDE with console support helps provide an interface where Window’s natural tools don’t really cut it.

For example if I need to have 3 gulp tasks running, I don’t want three separate command line windows open and stashed away. I need a single windows based commandline tool that tabs my open command line consoles. Which PHPstorm is the first tool I’ve seen to provide this.

I agree that IDE’s tend to be overkill. And I like my git powered by SourceTree and not managed by my IDE. Same with my FTP. I like filezilla, separate and ready for me. But command line consoles are a little different. It’s actually something I want managed by my IDE. I think this desire might be unique to a Windows power user, but I’m not certain either… not sure how it measures up to the Mac console workflow. Using terminal might be just as annoying as using the Windows command line utility.

(Russell Heimlich) #10

I’ve been using Atom for a few months. It’s nice once you get everything set-up right. It doesn’t seem to have any sort of project switcher so I have to drag the root of my project onto Atom from the Finder so it will index files and populate the tree panel on the left there.

(Tim Nash) #11

I have been using Atom for a few months now, however it is not without faults.
I use Nuclide packages from Facebook as a lot of my day to day work is now written in Hack rather then PHP.

Atom it self is quite hackable and visually appealing, it has gained a massive range of packages quickly and adding your own is easy with some basic JS experience.

However to get the best you need to spend time configuring and installing a lot of packages.
for example:

@kingkool68 - https://atom.io/packages/project-manager might be useful for you

Which then leads to the biggest issue, it’s insane memory hog (1.2gb of RAM with 10 tabs open) and it make Eclipse look like a lean efficient IDE sometimes in comparison.

To put in perspective on my MacBook Pro 2010 to open a file from close you are looking at:
20secs for Sublime
45secs for Eclipse
55secs for Atom

To a point where you can start editing.

You will also find the joys of…

Which is a regular occurrence along with packages (including core ones) crashing regularly.

So why use it if it’s slow and buggy?

I really have limited choice nuclide is the only IDE to fully support Hack. One question I get is it, just the packages and Nuclide in particular causing the issues, without any community packages, the open time is around 50 seconds so having 20 packages installed is adding about 5 seconds to load, stability wise it’s about the same.

(Russell Heimlich) #12

Thanks @tnash that Project Manager plugin is just what I was looking for.

(James DiGioia) #13

I want to love Atom, I really do, but this kills me. A buddy of mine uses Atom and has seen his RAM usage spike over 900MBs, and that’s without that many packages. I’m using PHPStorm at work and even that, with all its power, tends to peak out around 800MBs of RAM.

And I think is going to be a general issue as Node-based applications make their way into different environments: They’re just not as efficient as a comparable desktop application.

(Jason) #14

Huh… I wonder if that’s more of an issue on OSX. I’m running Atom in Ubuntu, it’s been open for probably a day, and it’s currently at around 60mb of memory. I’ve never had any memory issues with it.

(Tim Nash) #15

Interesting @jasontheadams having just opened Atom on Trusty install with nothing but core packages, left it open with nothing but default welcome for 30 minutes and it’s using 450mb. When it first loaded it was over 90mb.

(Nate Wright) #16

Love it. Not coming from vim myself, just like a lightweight editor. The fuzzy finder (CTRL+T) has completely changed the way I pull up and jump between files in projects. Really love it.

(James DiGioia) #17

And even the bare open with no packages is way more RAM than my fully-configured ST3 install. If it goes from 90MB -> 450MB, I wonder if there’s a memory leak somewhere…

(Jason) #18

It’s probably something of the sort, or extremely un-optimized processes. Honestly, aside from the memory usage I haven’t really had any real deal breaker problems happen. I have the memory to spare, personally, so I’ll just enjoy when they slim it down.