WordPress 5.0 is here! Gutenberg yes or no?

(Moeez) #1

So WordPress 5.0 is FINALLY here. The biggest concern is obviously Gutenberg. I have been trying to adapt to the new editor since it was first released for testing and I am still having a hard time trying to adjust.

What do you guys think about the new editor?

(Tom B) #2

It’s a mixed bag. On the one hand, I like the potential it opens up, and I feel it’s on the way to becoming a decent site builder, at least for developers who know what they’re doing.

At the same time though, I have to wonder whether this is going to work for normal users. I mean, does this really make it easier to add content? I’d say no, and that’s even on the type mobile devices the system seems to have been designed for.

It’s also quite buggy, sometimes adding or removing spaces and line breaks at seemingly random. Not a good look for something this important to WordPress.

Because of that, I’d say it’d probably work better if enabled solely on static pages, and that it should probably go through a few more rounds of testing before being integrated into core.

(Miroslav Glavić) #3

I love Gutenberg. It took me less than an hour to test things around.

(John Cory) #4

I’m struggling to find a way to describe this problem that makes sense to non-developers or even developers who don’t manage teams of site content editors … but, it seems to me that the Block Editor makes WordPress more of a blogging platform and less of the CMS developers and agencies had been making it. The issue for me is that ordered data-entry is not accommodated. ACF describes it as a scope issue.

You may be wondering if ACF Blocks are a replacement for metaboxes, to which the answer is no. Metaboxes are still an important part of the editing and development process. In fact, ACF will continue to utilize them as the primary tool for saving content.

The main difference between blocks and metaboxes is scope.

Source: https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/blog/acf-5-8-introducing-acf-blocks-for-gutenberg/

This is a huge “problem” for me. It undoes everything I’ve been building for years and wasn’t apparent until I was forced to invest many hours of unpaid personal into research earlier this month.

I still haven’t found a good way to communicate it out to anyone – the people I work for or the WordPress community.

(Moeez) #5

I agree that it’s buggy but I would wait for 2 or 3 months before giving my final opinion on that because every new update comes with some bugs that are later resolved.

However, I think Gutenberg is more targeted towards beginner or new WordPress users. Us old timers would still prefer the classic editor.

(Moeez) #6

Wow that’s great. Good for you :slight_smile: May be you can publish a content piece on that which will help all of us :slight_smile: