WordPress in Seattle

(John Cory) #1

I hope this is the right category. Please feel free to move me.

I’m moving from DC to Seattle in April for work but also interested in finding a new WordPress-based job there in a couple of months. Does anyone have suggestions on how to search for WP work there? Good meetups in Seattle or Tacoma, etc? Any PNC job boards, job resources?

In DC, I work for a big architecture firm. We run about 20 WP sites and apps I built and maintain.I can continue to work in our Seattle office, but I’d rather work for an agency or something else. I do custom themes, content and problem-solving. I go to the DC Meetups pretty faithfully. I volunteer occasionally.

Many thanks!

(Leland Fiegel) #2

Not familiar with the WordPress community in the Seattle area, but I’ll provide what advice I can:

• It looks like Seattle does have a meetup group. Although if you’re used to the DC meetup, it looks like Seattle’s group operates a little differently. Smaller, more focused meetups throughout the month. As opposed to one big one with 50-100 people like in DC once a month.

• Not sure what you mean by “PNC job board” …when I see “PNC” I think of the bank, but I don’t think that’s what you meant.

• All I can say about working for an agency is “be careful what you wish for.” Agencies (their clients, really) can be very demanding. Long hours, ridiculous requests, absurd expectations, etc. On the other hand, it is a good way to quickly familiarize yourself with a number of different industries while only (technically) working one job. Is there some reason you’re looking to leave your current job though?

• This applies for every locale, not just Seattle, but keep up with remote job boards like We Work Remotely and RemoteJobs.com (which tends to have more WordPress-focused jobs).

In any case, best of luck!

(John Cory) #3

Thanks, Leland! I will miss the DC Meetups fo sho.

1. I will def join the Seattle Meetup.

2. I meant to type Pacific Northwest but I too am more familiar with PNC. Lol. Anyhow, I’m 36 and haven’t looked for a job for about seven years, so when I think of job hunting, I think of Craigslist. Seems outdated. I’m familiar with Indeed and Robert Half from hiring assistants but, unfortunately, my HR dept handles most of the listing. I assume there are lots of targeted, even region/industry/codebase-specific sites like you pointed out.

3. True. I’ve worked for an agency before. Funny thing is, for me, it was the best job I ever had. The politics were pretty streamlined and brief. The contractual nature of the work seemed to keep people from diving too deep into pet projects and scope creep and all that. Then again, we had some really dumb clients, built a lot of sites that didn’t go anywhere and the hours were rough. I’m leaving my job because, while I’m fortunate to have an office in Seattle to go to, that office has very low morale due to … long story.

4. Those are great suggestions.

I recall one DC Meetup had a pretty good “who’s looking to hire / who needs a job” moment. I feel like that and a white board like at Philly should be a staple of every meetup and every WordCamp. I always have work and always want to find new work.

Thanks again!

(Jeff C) #4

The WordPress community in Seattle is sound. In fact, it’s so well off that they can have two WordCamps a year. One for developers and the other for users. Once you’re up there, look for @BobWP as he’s not too far away from Seattle. Vancouver, BC also has a good WordPress community.